Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thematic Thursday...

Thematic Thursday…

Welcome to my first ever Thematic Thursday!! Thematic Thursdays will happen every Thursday and will be focused on one theme or subject.

This week I am going to talk about kid’s beds and how to get the look of Pottery Barn Kids for less. I will reveal the tricks that Pottery Barn Kids uses to make their beds look so fantastic for their photo shoots, and show you how you can achieve the look with less effort and less money spent! That is something we can all live with right?

Whenever I am browsing out on the web for decoration inspiration for my daughter’s room, I always come across these fabulously made beds. No matter how hard I try I can never achieve the same look. Any guesses as to why?

First- because we don’t style our kiddos rooms for photos everyday.

Second- Because we don’t style our kids rooms everyday, we have the basics- one to two pillows, a sheet set and a single comforter/duvet.

Let’s take a look at the photo below and see if we can identify what sets this bed apart from our own:




See how fluffy and full it all looks? This is a photo highlighting a quilt. As you can see though, it sure looks like there is a lot more than a quilt under there. That is because there is a big fluffy comforter under the quilt. You can see it in the photo below- its pink and in between the quilt and the top sheet. See?




The items pictured on this bed include:

Quilt
Standard sleeping pillow
Standard pillow {sham}
Euro pillow {sham}
Duvet cover
Down insert
Brooke Sheets
3 pillow inserts for shams listed above
Tulle bed skirt
2 decorative owl pillows
One small sqaure pillow and insert


For your bed to look like this it will cost you $755.00 at Pottery Barn Kids. That includes everything listed above if purchased from PBK. This is for everything pictured in the second picture. Bedding only, no furniture.

By the way…all of this is pricing for a twin bed.

If you have two or three kids and you are on a budget- like most of us are, that is WAY TOO MUCH to spend on bedding for your kids, that let’s face it, can care less if they spill, color on or generally make it dirty.

If you are not shopping for a quilt you will see a bed like this:




This is the bed set my kiddo has. I love it. I loved it so much, I sold some stuff on eBay to get it, to create the “perfect” first time big girl bed.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and put it all together and her bed didn’t look perfect like this!

Want to know the trick? They have TWO comforters in the duvet cover! Easy Peasy! It is all about layering, but I assure you, this can be accomplished on a budget.

This bed has cute sheets that for a twin cost $59.00 a set. I don’t have these sheets. I have flannel polka dot sheets that I got on sale at Target for $10 and my kiddo’s bed is a full size.

See if I’d gone with PBK sheets it would have been $79.00, seriously- for 200 thread count cotton sheets? For a kid? I don’t think so friends.

Now PBK is known for their oh so cute bedding, that makes you want to sell something just so you can get it. You get the catalog and most times unless you are lucky on eBay, you absolutely cannot find the same prints someplace else. So you have to compromise.

Here are the things you can get to achieve a fluffy, full Potter Barn-esque bed:

{I picked a look-a-like similar to the first photo with the owls and trees}

The first pick is all of the items on the first owl bed...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


And below are some cute Target finds that feature the owl/woodsy theme, and come in at a price set to afford more decorative accessories!

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment